Biomass and Biogas
Biogas comes from anaerobic digestion, or gasification. Biomass generally comes in the form of wood pellets, chips or logs.
The fuel is burnt to drive a turbine generating power with a useful heat by product.
Ideal for sites with own fuel source, the units can be scaled from small enough to power and heat a single room, to large industrial scale plants.
What are the benefits?
- The price of fuels can vary massively, however, it is generally found they are cheaper than traditional generation methods.
- Subsidies in the form of the Renewable Heat Incentive may apply.
- Fuel sources are readily available and timber plantations are quickly regenerated.
- Significantly lower carbon emissions
- CO2 emissions are much lower than ‘conventional’ sources of heating.